Staff profile: Deborah White
- Position title:
- Exhibitions & Creative Services
- Public Programs & Operations
- +612 9320 6008
- Contact Deborah White using the form below
While editing and writing has been my profession for over 15 years, I've recently made a professional detour. I am now creating and coordinating digital content for exhibitions, the web, interactives and various screens around the Museum. I believe professional communicators are the ones best placed to increase their digital skills and become integral to an institution's digital engagement strategy. Storytelling is a skill that simply needs to be moved into the digital age!
I still love writing and editing and have worked for many cultural institutions such as the Lord Howe Island Museum, the Townsville Cultural Centre, the Dorrigo Rainforest Centre and the Australian Museum, where I have been an Editor for over 13 years. I have written and edited text for exhibitions, publications, interactives, educational programs and audio guides for a wide range of audiences, age groups and interest levels.
I have also worked with Pan Macmillan, Macmillan Education Publishers, the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, the University of New South Wales, The University of Technology, Who Weekly magazine, The School Magazine, and Pursuit magazine.
I have worked on many rewarding projects with authors, content experts and designers to achieve text and digital strategies for a range of purposes.
More recently, I have worked as an Exhibition Project Manager at both the Australian Museum and the NSW State Library.
I have a Bachelor of Arts, with a double major in Factual and Creative Writing and Theatre and Film from the University of New South Wales.
I also have a Certificate in Fine Arts from the Southern Sydney Institute of TAFE as well as certificates in Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop and Digital Storytelling.
- Winner of Best Digital Media mashup, 2011 Libraryhack competition, National and State Libraries Australasia
- Highly Commended, 2011 Museums and Galleries NSW Imagine awards for Exhibitions and Public Engagement for Rituals of Seduction: Birds of Paradise exhibition
- On winning team, 2011 ICOM award for Best International Partnership for Rituals of Seduction: Birds of Paradise exhibition
- On winning team, 2002 National Trust Energy Australia Heritage Award, electronic category for Keeping Culture, an interactive CD ROM
- On winning team, 2002 Royal Zoological Society of NSW Whitley Award for Best Children’s Series for Insects and Spiders 6-book series
- Bronze award, 1999 Premier’s Public Sector Award for provision of services to regional and rural NSW for Museum in a Box outreach educational program
- Second place, 1997 UNSW Literary Prize
- Nominee, 1995 Australian Federation of University Women English Prize