Positions vacant: Youth Worker – Pacific Youth Collection Access
- Closing date:
- 9 August 2012
- Position Description:
Division: Research & Collection
Unit/Branch: Culture Collections/ Culture, Conservation and Business Services
Salary Grade: Scientific Officer Grade 1-2
Remuneration: Total remuneration package valued up to $93,304 pa, including salary $54,742-$84,553(subject to qualification & experience), employer’s contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading
Employment status: Temporary full time for a period up to 18 months
An unique opportunity is available for a youth worker or social worker engaged with young people from a Pacific background to work with a world class cultural team and collection.
The Australian Museum has begun an innovative new project aimed at addressing the over-representation of young people from the Pacific diaspora in the NSW juvenile justice system. The project aims to utilize the Pacific collections to help reconnect troubled Pacific youth with their cultural heritage. This activity is part of a broader program of diversionary or remedial measures to help address the symptoms of cultural dislocation including juvenile justice issues.
As part of the cultural collections team, the Youth Worker will provide a link between Pacific communities, government and non-government organizations, and the Australian Museum cultural collections.
1. Experience in community liason, youth work, social work or similar field, particularly with young people of Pacific background.
2. Demonstrated high levels of initiative and the ability to work without direct supervision.
3. Well established relationships with the Pacific diasporic community in NSW, and a demonstrated understanding of the issues faced by Pacific diasporic youth, including in relation to the criminal justice system.
4. Established networks and relationships with government and/or non-government organisations providing services to the Pacific diasporic community in NSW.
5. Tertiary qualifications in social work, youth work or related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
Closing Date: 09/08/12
How to apply: Please click on "Apply Online" and you will be directed to www.jobs.nsw.gov.au. Once directed, please address your selection criteria responses, your resume and any other relevant documents. Applications will only be accepted via this method.
Dion Peita, +612 9320 6410
No Smoking in the workplace is Departmental policy. The successful applicant will be expected to show commitment to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity, Occupational Health and Safety, Cultural Diversity policies and programs and ethical practices.
Applying for a position describes the process in applying for a position with the Australian Museum.