Animal Species:Painted Rainbow Wrasse, Suezichthys arquatus Russell, 1985
The Painted Rainbow Wrasse is recorded from temperate marine waters of the south-west Pacific.It occurs in a range of habitats.
Male Painted Rainbow Wrasse can be recognised by their colour pattern. They have blue stripes and dots on the body, red dorsal and anal fins, and a diagonal yellow line across the upper part of the caudal fin. Females and juveniles have pearly spots along the scale rows. They have dark spots at the front and rear of the dorsal fin and on the caudal fin base.
The species grows to 16 cm in length.
The Painted Rainbow Wrasse is recorded from temperate marine waters of the south-west Pacific. In Australia is it is known from southern Queensland to southern New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
It occurs in a range of habitats from shallow rocky reefs to offshore.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2002. Fairy and Rainbow Wrasses and their Relatives. A Comprehensive Guide to Selected Labroids. TMC Publishing. Pp. 208.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Painted Rainbow Wrasse, Suezichthys arquatus, Labridae, blue, purple, red, pink, green, yellow, black, grey, white, (rainbow), 'normal fish', 10 cm - 30 cm, countershaded, striped or bands, blotches/mottled, rocky reef, marine, adult,