Animal Species:Blue-eye Cardinalfish, Ostorhinchus compressus (Smith & Radcliffe, 1911)
The Blue-eye Cardinalfish is a small, tropical marine species that can be recognised by its colour pattern. Until recently the species was known as Apogon compressus.
Split-banded Cardinalfish, Ochre-striped Cardinalfish
The Blue-eye Cardinalfish can be recognised by its blue eyes and by its colour pattern. This species usually has 3-4 dark spots on the base of the tail fin and six red-brown stripes on the side of the body, the one behind the eye splits into two branches.
The Blue-eye Cardinalfish grows to 12 cm in length.
It is recorded from much of the Western Pacific. In Australia it has been recorded from Rowley Shoals, Western Australia and from the northern Great Barrier Reef.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
This species is usually seen in small groups in branching corals at depths between 2 m and 20 m.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1992. Tropical Reef-Fishes of the Western Pacific. Indonesia and adjacent Waters. Penerbit PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama. Pp. 314.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. A Comprehensive Guide to the Coral Reef Fishes of Micronesia. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Paxton, J.R., D.F. Hoese, G.R. Allen & J.E. Hanley. 1989. Zoological Catalogue of Australia Vol.7 Pisces Petromyzontidae to Carangidae. Canberra: Australian Biological Resources Survey. pp. i-xii, 1-665.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R & R.C. Steene. 1990. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 507.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags fishes, Ochre-striped Cardinalfish, Apogon compressus, tropical water, marine, colour pattern, blue eyes, dots/spots, stripes or bands, 10 cm - 30 cm, Great Barrier Reef, ichthyology, Ostorhinchus compressus, Blue-eye Cardinalfish,