Animal Species:Diana's Pigfish, Bodianus diana (Lacépède, 1801)
Diana's Pigfish can be recognised by its colouration. The species occurs in tropical marine waters of the Indo-West Pacific.
Diana's Hogfish, Diana's Wrasse
Diana's Pigfish can be recognised by its colouration. It has a purplish-brown head and a yellow body. The upper sides have four yellow spots and a region of dark spots posteriorly. There is a large dark spot on the pelvic fins and anteriorly on the anal fin. The caudal and anal fins both have a smaller black spot. The scales have brown margins. Juveniles look very different from the adults. They are reddish brown with white blotches and spots on the side of the body. They have large black spots on the fins.
The species grows to 25 cm in length.
Current research indicates that the name Bodianus diana has been used in Australia for more than one species.
The species occurs in tropical marine waters of the Indo-West Pacific. In Australia it is known from the coast and offshore islands of north-western Western Australia, around the tropical north of the country and south to southern New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433. (as Bodianus sp)
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
- Westneat, M.W. 2001. Labridae. in Carpenter, K.E. & V.H. Niem (Eds). FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes. The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Pacific. Volume 6. Bony Fishes part 4 (Labridae to Latimeriidae), estuarine crocodiles, sea turtles, sea snakes and marine mammals. FAO, Rome. Pp. iii-v, 3381-4218.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology